Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Natural Deodorant recipe



Ever since becoming vegan, I've began to wonder what is actually in my hair and make-up products that I use on and around my face everyday. You can inhale chemicals while using hairspray, your body can absorb chemicals from using store-bought lotion everyday, and your pores can absorb chemicals in the deodorant you use! Researching about all these chemicals that I found in my Secret deodorant, Dove hairspray, and Suave lotion really concerned me and I decided to make my own products.


One of the main ingredients in this homemade deodorant recipe is coconut oil. Coconut oil is exactly what it sounds like: oil from the coconut. I bought Dr. Bronner's brand of coconut oil and I love it. When looking to buy a coconut oil, you want to make sure it's in a glass container, is fresh-pressed or cold-pressed, unrefined, and organic. Coconut oil has many uses but I mainly use it to cook with and as a body moisturizer. It comes solidified but once you rub it on your body or cook with it, it begins to liquify. It also smells AMAZING. I highly suggest you get rid of your store-bought lotion that you use everyday and swap it for some natural coconut oil.


So now for the deodorant recipe, coconut provides a great base for deodorant and makes for a smooth texture. Most all deodorants at the store contain aluminum and parabens. Aluminum is the main ingredient to block perspiration but what many people don't realize is that it clogs the pores and prevents them from ridding toxins from the body! I've tried many natural brand deodorants and they did not work at all! This homemade deodorant does not contain aluminum or paragons, and it smells amazing and best of all, it works! It allows the body to get rid of toxins while also maintaining body odor. It also saves you money! Ever since swapping all my store-bought toiletries with homemade recipes, I've saved so much money and I rarely go to Target anymore! Haha. I used to spend so much money on hair, makeup, and bathing products that it was insane! I'm so much happier with my natural products now.



2 tablespoons baking soda

2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)

3 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil

15-20 drops of essential oil of your choice (I use lavender essential oil)

*you can buy essential oils at GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe!*


In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and arrowroot powder. Add the coconut oil and stir until it is smooth and creamy. The coconut oil will be hard at first but the more you stir, it will become heated and soften on its own. Once it is creamy, transfer it to a muffin/cupcake liner or small container of your choice. (You can also empty and wash out an old deodorant container and use that) Refrigerate the deodorant for a few hours until it has hardened. Once it is hardened, pop out the liner or leave it in the deodorant container and use like deodorant. Keep in mind, you must keep the deodorant in the fridge or in a cool environment in order for it to stay remotely hardened. Coconut oil tends to melt at warm temperatures. I left my deodorant liners in my bathroom and they were very soft the next morning so I prefer to keep mine in the fridge. Keep it in an airtight container so it doesn't dry out. I keep mine in a small plastic bag in the fridge.



Enjoy!





No comments: