Monday, December 5, 2011

Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe


I recently posted on my Facebook page what my favorite meals to have for breakfast are. One of my favorites is steel cut oatmeal. It's so delicious and filling. I buy the Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats and I make the recipe on the back of the package. I usually put a packet of stevia in my portion with some berries on top. It is SO yummy. Sometimes I'll put a tablespoon of flax seed meal or protein powder in it.




I was reading Kourtney Kardashian's blog and she is also a big fan of steel cut oats for breakfast. She posted her favorite way to eat the oats in the morning and the recipes sounds great. I'm definitely going to make it once I'm done with the 7 Day Slimdown. :)

If you don't know what steel cut oats are, they are the whole grain groats that have been cut into pieces with steel rather than being rolled. The groat is the inner portion of the oat kernel. What I love about steel cut oats is that they are chewier and nuttier than old-fashioned oats. Steel cut oats have many health benefits and are very filling. It's definitely one of my favorite things to have for breakfast aside from Tone It Up protein pancakes or an egg white omelet. :) Steel cut oats have a lower glycemic index than instant oatmeal which causes a lower spike in insulin levels when consumed. A 1/2 cup serving of cooked steel-cut oatmeal provides only 150 calories. It is a good source of complex carbohydrates, and provides 4 g of soluble fiber, which works to lower cholesterol. It also provides 5 g of protein.

Here is Kourtney Kardashian's steel-cut oatmeal recipe:

One serving:
1 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup of steel cut oats
2 tablespoons of Bob’s Red Mill ground flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon of Manuka honey (which has health benefits as well as adding some sweetness)

Mix everything together on medium heat and stir until it comes to a low boil. Then put on simmer and leave for about 20 minutes or so…that’s it! So easy and very healthy!



Enjoy! :)

No comments: