Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mediterranean Quinoa



I created this recipe on a whim while I was craving something with extra virgin olive oil and veggies. After I took one bite, I fell in love. It’s satisfying and so delectable!

I personally like to make a big batch of quinoa every week to keep in the fridge and I can use it whenever I need to. Usually it’s for this recipe or the Perfect Morning Quinoa recipe from the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan! :)


This recipe calls for:

1 tomato

As many asparagus stalks you’d like since it’s unlimited green veggies :) I usually use about 5 or 6.

If I don’t have asparagus in my fridge, I use kale or spinach.

1/4 cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil


-First prepare your quinoa like you normally would and spoon about 1 1/2 cups into your serving bowl. Also, pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil over your bowl of quinoa.

-Saute the mushrooms in a pan on medium heat with nothing in the pan. This allows the mushrooms to sweat a little bit.

-Once the mushrooms have been cooked down a little bit, cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces and put them in the pan (or throw in kale, spinach, any other green veggie) and pour a tablespoon of olive oil into the pan. Saute the mushrooms and asparagus together and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.

-Once the mushrooms and asparagus are cooked, pour in 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and saute for a little bit until they have soaked in most of the balsamic.

-Pour the cooked veggies over your quinoa. Take the tomato and slice it into cubes over the top. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the tomatoes and VOILA!

Stir and Enjoy! :)

No comments: